Thursday, February 12, 2009

How I got NG Topo! North Carolina for $31.95

Well this is quite the story.

National Geographic makes a product that they call Topo! State Series, that is really terrific. It is USGS topo maps at all 5 levels, right on your computer so that you can edit, print, route, export, etc.

Perhaps the best feature is that if you own a Magellan Triton GPS (like me), the entire map is exportable to the unit, including any edits or overlays that you create.
I have this product for Michigan, and I've been looking to buy the North Carolina version for some time, because it would be useful in planning and executing this trip, but it is on the pricy side ($99.95).

I currently have TOPO 4, but when I bought my Michigan discs it was version 3, so when version 4 came out I simply upgraded; the software can download the new quads and all of the features upgrade.

So I went on eBay, and bought someones version 3 of NC that was missing a disc for $18.95 with shipping. Then I called Nat Geo and ordered a replacement disc for $13.00 with shipping. This is an old version but when I put it on my computer all of the quads updated and it's just like having version 4, except I don't have South Carolina like version 4 does.

Anyway I feel pretty good right now because I just saved a lot of money!

No comments:

Post a Comment