Friday, February 6, 2009

MST Outer Banks Campgrounds

I'm looking into where to camp on my obx trip and having a good time doing it. Here's the lineup I've come up with from north to south.

  • Oregon Inlet Campground, Oregon Inlet (NPS)
  • Ocean Waves Campground, Waves (private)
  • Sands of Time Campground, Avon (private)
  • Frisco Campground, Frisco (NPS)
  • Ocracoke Campground, Ocracoke (NPS)

My total estimated cost for camping is $120, which is not so bad when divided amongst 2 (or 4) people.

The next step is to figure out how to get to these campgrounds from the beach (or trail). Ocean Waves is on the ocean, so that will be easy enough to get to, but some of the other ones I'm sure I'll have to call up and find out where the public access is.

All this preparation is very exciting, I can't wait to go.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Chris. I'm the guy who makes the maps for the MST. I think we communicated earlier. Sorry I haven't gotten out to Section 38 yet. I'm looking forward to learning of your experience in that section.

    You don't say when you plan to hike, One issue of which you'll want to be aware is that the beaches are closed, even to foot traffic, for wildlife protection in certain places at certain times.

    http://www.nps.gov/caha/parknews/national-park-service-beach-access-report-for-october-9-2008.htm

    I know at least one MST hiker who has been cited by the NPS.

    I couldn't find any information for 2009 on line but it might be worth a call to find out if you can hike on the beach when you plan to.

    ReplyDelete